NOTICE OF DELIVERY SERVICE DELAYS
DC Health is experiencing delays in mail availability due to the impact of COVID-19 on the US postal service.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to process all mail in as timely a manner as possible.
REGARDING PAPER APPLICATIONS
Important Notice (select link):
DC Health No Longer Accepting Paper Applications (Beginning June 14, 2021)
ONLINE LICENSING APPLICATIONS
The District of Columbia Department of Health, Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) is excited to announce the opening of our new online licensing system. Effective immediately, any healthcare provider who is interested in applying for a new health professional license, or to renew, reinstate, or reactivate an existing license, may do so by going to the below link and submitting an online application. All users are strongly encouraged to review the instructions prior to beginning the process.
COVID-19 Guidances and Best Practices
For the most up to date information on the District's response to COVID-19, including information on best practices, licensure waivers, and recommended guidelines, go to coronavirus.dc.gov.
Select link for Phase Two of Washington DC Reopening (Mayor's Order 2020-075): Phase Two of Washington DC Reopening
Due to ongoing efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19, effective immediately, the Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) is implementing a 100% telework policy and will be available for mail services only.
UPDATED: The Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) Processing Center will fully reopen its public service counter Monday through Friday starting on July 12, 2021, from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm.
- Masks are required. Customers must wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth before entering the building.
- Only the appointment holder and one additional guest will be allowed into the Processing Center.
- Appointment holders will be given a 15 minute grace period. If you arrive after the grace period, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment in consideration of other scheduled customers.
- If you cannot select highlighted days on the calendar, all appointments have been booked for this month. Please check the next month.
- If the calendar does not advance to the next month, there are no future appointments available at this time. Please check back later.
All HRLA related applications should be mailed to one of the lockboxes listed here. Individuals may also call the Processing Center at 1 (877) 672-2174 to get an update on their pending applications.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all Health Professional Board meetings are currently held virtually. Please check each board's respective website for information on when the next meeting will take place. If you are already in contact with a Health Licensing Specialist (HLS), please forward any documents to said HLS via email.
If you require assistance from the Board of Dentistry, please contact [email protected].
The DC Board of Dentistry regulates the practice of dentistry and dental hygiene in the District. The Board advises the Mayor and administers and enforces the law. The Board also evaluates qualifications, administers exams, and recommends standards and procedures. Moreover, the Board issues licenses, receives and reviews complaints, requests investigations, conducts hearings, and issues an annual report.
The Board consists of seven DC residents appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the council: five licensed dentists, one licensed dental hygienist, and one consumer professional. Members must have been in practice for at least three years preceding appointment and file personal financial disclosure statements. The consumer member must be at least 18 years old, the consumer doesn't have to be a health professional, or in training to become one, and may have no household member who is involved directly or indirectly in providing health care. The Mayor appoints the chairperson. Licenses expire on December 31 of odd years.
In 2021, the Board plans to meet on the following dates:
- January 27, 2021
- February 17, 2021
- March 17, 2021
- April 21, 2021
- May 19, 2021
- June 16, 2021
- July 21, 2021
- September 15, 2021
- October 20, 2021
- Dentistry Application Documents
- Dental Assistants Application Documents
- Reinstatement: To reinstate your expired license, please call the Board of Dentistry at (202) 724-8872.
- Criminal Background Check
- Health Occupations Revision Act (HORA) [PDF]
- DC Municipal Regulations for Dentistry [PDF]
- DC Municipal Regulations for Dental Hygienists [PDF]
- DC Municipal Regulations for Dentist and Dental Facility Certification to Administer Sedation or General Anesthesia [PDF]
- District of Columbia Municipal Regulations for Teaching Licenses for Dentistry and Dental Hygiene
- DC Municipal Regulations for Dental Assistants [PDF]
- Policy Statement on Identifying Public Health Issues for Continuing Education
- DC Dental Society
- American Association of Dental Boards
- American Association of Dental Administrators
- American Dental Association
- Meeting Calendar and Agenda
- Reporting a Name or Address Change
- Search for a Dentist
- Request Verification of a License
- File a Complaint [PDF]
- Open Session Minutes
- Demonstration Volunteer Policy