Welcome to the DC Health Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Program! We're dedicated to ensuring the best possible pre-hospital care for every resident and visitor in the District of Columbia.
To nurture, support, and improve the district’s emergency medical and trauma care system, delivering optimal patient care through:
- Certification: We license and certify all EMS providers in the district.
- Oversight: We monitor EMS education institutions and response organizations.
- Innovation: We identify and address challenges to optimize pre-hospital services.
- Leadership: We strive for excellence and set the standard for patient care.
To be a national leader in EMS, recognized for:
- Top-notch patient care: Facilitating the provision of the highest quality pre-hospital medical services.
- Community health: Promoting health and preparedness in our communities.
- Valuable information: Educating residents on emergency preparedness.
- Strategic governance: Effectively managing resources to improve public health.
- Knowledge management: Sharing best practices and research to enhance public health
We work tirelessly to ensure the safety and well-being of all by:
- Equipped ambulances: We validate and certify ambulances have the necessary equipment to handle emergencies.
- Rigorous standards: We certify and inspect ambulance organizations to ensure they meet strict standards.
- Continuous education: We review curriculum and course outlines for EMS training sites to ensure that it meets both national and local standards.
- Expert evaluation: We assess the skills and knowledge of medical service providers to ensure they meet national standards before they earn certification.
- Comprehensive support: We offer technical assistance to hospitals, EMS providers, government agencies, and others involved in emergency care.
- District-wide trauma system: We plan and monitor a robust trauma system throughout the District.