IMPORTANT! During the federal government's partial shutdown, DC WIC is OPEN for business as usual and still serving families in the District of Columbia.
Please contact your DC WIC site if you have any questions. We will continue to work with our partners to update participants on any changes.
What is WIC?
WIC is a program that provides the following services to pregnant women, new mothers, infants, and children up to age 5:
- Nutrition counseling and education
- Breastfeeding resources and support
- Nutrient-rich foods (Foods provided by the program supply calcium, protein, iron, and Vitamins A, D, and C.)
- Immunization assessment and screening
- Referrals to health and social service providers
For women and children over 1-year-old, WIC also provides fresh fruits and vegetables (May – November) through the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program.
All this at no cost to the participants!
Who can participate in WIC?
You can participate in WIC if you:
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding, a new mother, an infant, or a child up to age 5;
- Live in DC (You do not have to show proof of U.S. citizenship to participate.);
- Meet income guidelines or medical risk for your family as listed below or are participating in Medicaid, DC Healthy Families, School Lunch Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or the Food Stamp Program; and/or
- Have a nutritional or medical risk (determined by a nutritionist or other health professional).
- Fill out the WIC Prescreening Tool to find out if you might be eligible for WIC.
Learn More About WIC
WIC Clinic Sites
Where can I enroll in WIC? There are currently four (4) health care providers that provide WIC services to DC residents: Unity Health Care. Inc, Children’s National Health System, Mary’s Center for Maternal and Child Care, and Howard University Hospital. Each health care provider sponsors WIC clinic sites throughout the city.
Find a WIC site in the ward or quadrant nearest you: WIC Clinic Locations [PDF]
- How WIC Helps
- FNS/USDA Program Data for WIC from 1974 to 2011.
- Apply for WIC
- Approved WIC Foods
- Approved WIC Food Stores and Pharmacies
- Breastfeeding Program
- Community Relations
- Farmer's Market Nutrition Program
- Medical Documentation Form [PDF]
- Nutrition for the General Public
- Produce Plus Program
- Non-Discrimination Statement- English and Spanish
- Nutrition and Physical Fitness Bureau
- Vendor Management
- WIC Special Formulas [PDF]
- Healthcare Providers & DC WIC webinar