The WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program Act (Public Law 102-314) was established on July 2, 1992. The Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program began as a grant program in 2001 and was established as a permanent program in 2007 (Public Law 107-171). The purpose of the WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program and the Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program is to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to women, infants (6-12 months), children and seniors who are nutritionally at risk and to expand the awareness and use of farmers’ markets. In the district, the FMNP is branded as Get Fresh. Farmers who sell their produce in the District of Columbia and in Maryland’s Prince George and Montgomery counties, may be eligible to become an approved Get Fresh vendor.
Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program
- Senior Participants: Seniors, 60 years and older, participating in the Grocery Plus (Commodity Supplemental Food Program) are eligible to receive $40.00 worth of Get Fresh checks to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and local honey from approved vendors. Contact the Capitol Area Food Bank for information on eligibility and benefit distribution sites.
- WIC Participants: Each pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum woman, infant (6-12 months) and child (1 year to 5 years of age) are eligible to receive $30.00 worth of Get Fresh checks to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs from approved vendors. Contact your WIC Local Agency for more information.
WIC Fruit and Vegetables Checks - CVC
The WIC Cash-Value-Check is a part of the regular WIC food package. The checks are issued monthly to each eligible participant and can be used for fruits and vegetables at the grocery store or with approved vendors at the farmers’ market throughout the year. Children receive $9.00, pregnant, breastfeeding and post-partum women up to six months receive $11.00 and women breastfeeding multiples receive $16.50 as a part of their monthly food package
- 2019 Approved Food List
- Application for Participation
- 2018-2020 Vendor Agreement Form
- 2019-2021 Farmer's Guidebook
- Complaint Form
- Get Fresh Poster
- DC WICShopper
- Get Fresh Festival Template