The Division of Epidemiology - Disease Surveillance and Investigation coordinates with the School Health Nursing Program to monitor infectious diseases in District of Columbia schools. When a reportable communicable disease is confirmed or suspected among students, faculty, and staff members, a protocol is in place to monitor and minimize the spread of infectious diseases.
How to report a case?
For School and Child Development Facility Nurses and Staff
- Refer to the list of reportable diseases in the District of Columbia to determine which illnesses are reportable
- Review the Child Development Facility and School Health Communicable Disease Reference Guide
- Report any unusual number of cases (3 cases or more that occur within 7 days) of illness whether reportable or not
- Fill out the Notifiable Disease and Condition Case Report Form (CRF) using the DC Reporting and Surveillance Center (DCRC) online reporting system
- Please review the user guide for information on how to complete and submit the online form
- If available, clinical documents (such as the return to school slip signed by a physician, discharge document or picture of a prescribed medication) can be uploaded in the form
- Please contact us via phone at (202) 442-5893 during office hours or email us at [email protected] if you have any questions at any time
- Submit a COVID-19 Reporting Form by visiting the COVID-19 Reporting Requirements page
For Parents or Guardians
- Please consult a health care provider if your child gets sick
- Report the illness to the school/child care center if your child is diagnosed with a disease
- Provide any available supporting documents (such as the return to school slip signed by a physician, discharge document or picture of the prescribed medication) to the school/child care center
- Keep your child at home when recommended to prevent the spread of illness
Other Helpful Resources
- View a complete list of disease fact sheets offered by the Division of Epidemiology- Disease Surveillance and Investigation.
- View tips and recommendations to help your children stay healthy
- View disinfection and cleaning recommendations for facilities and surfaces to help control the spread of illness
- View additional information about the School Health Nursing Program