DC Health offers the Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Drug Assistance Program (DAP), for insured & uninsured HIV negative residents in the DC metropolitan area who are at high risk of HIV infection and are prescribed Truvada as PrEP. Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis therapy is a biomedical treatment that can reduce the spread of HIV in high risk populations by taking a pill daily to reduce the risk of HIV-1 infection among adult men and women. Truvada was approved in 2012 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for HIV prevention. PrEP DAP pays the monthly co-pay and deductible (if needed cost) for an eligible participant. Limited funding is available.
Uninsured applicants should contact Gilead’s Advancing Access Patient Assistance Program at 1-800-226-2056 or GileadAdvancingAccess.com prior to applying.
What do I need to receive DC PrEP DAP?
- DC Metropolitan Area Resident
- valid District or DMV area State Driver's License or District /State ID, or
- Rental /Lease / Mortgage Agreement, or
- Utility bill within the last 60 days, or
- DC voter registration, or
- Social Security Benefit Statement, or
- If homeless, please provide a statement form case manager on facility letterhead
- Please include name of the city the applicant resides in and document which best describes where the applicant stayed prior to completing the application (i.e. at a park, in a car, shelter, with family and/or friends, on the street, or somewhere else)
- HIV negative
- Provider declaration on negative testing and last test date
- Have insurance
- If applicable, provide proof of insurance (i.e. copy front and back of insurance card)
- Have risk factors for contracting HIV
- Provider declaration of high risk
- Proof of Income
- Proof of Income is required. Financial eligibility is based on 500% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). FPL varies based on household size and is updated annually. Financial eligibility is calculated on the gross income available to the household. See income chart located in the Fact Sheet.
Click here to register for DC PrEP DAP
Questions about PrEP and PrEP DAP?
If you have questions about PrEP, contact your prescribing medical provider or the DC Health Pharmacy Benefits Program about your PrEP treatment.
If you have questions about PrEP DAP, and how to apply contact:
- Call 202-671-4815
- Fax: 202-673-4365
- Participating DC PrEP DAP Pharmacies
- Click here for DC PrEP DAP Fact Sheet 2020
Useful Information about PrEP