PROCESSING CENTER Hours:
The Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) Processing Center is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 am – 1 pm, and Wednesday, 9 am - 3:30 pm (except holidays).
The HRLA Office Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:15 am - 4:45 pm (except holidays).
If you require assistance from the Board of Professional Counseling, please contact the Board at [email protected]
DC HEALTH has become aware of a PHISHING PHONE SCAM
Please review Important Notices regarding
Important Notice regarding Paper Applications (select link):
DC Health No Longer Accepting Paper Applications (Beginning June 14, 2021)
Please review the application checklist and regulations prior to applying for a license.
Graduate Professional Counselor Checklist
Professional Counselor Checklist
Addiction Counselor I and Certified Addiction Counselor II Checklist
The District of Columbia Department of Health, Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) is excited to announce the opening of our new online licensing system. Effective immediately, any healthcare provider who is interested in applying for a new health professional license, or to renew, reinstate, or reactivate an existing license, may do so by going to the below link and submitting an online application. All users are strongly encouraged to review the instructions prior to beginning the process.
2022 ONLINE RENEWAL IS LIVE:
Board of Professional Counseling Online Renewal
Select this link to renew:
Status of Application
If you need an update on the status of your application, please send an email to the appropriate inbox:
- Graduate Professional Counselor applicants: [email protected]
- Professional Counselor applicants: [email protected]
- Addiction Counselor I applicants: [email protected]
- Certified Addiction Counselor II applicants: [email protected]
- For ALL General Inquiries: [email protected]
COVID-19 Guidance and Best Practices
For the most up-to-date information on the District's response to COVID-19, including information on best practices and recommended guidelines, please go to coronavirus.dc.gov.
Individuals may also call the Processing Center at 1 (877) 672-2174 to get an update on their pending applications.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all Health Professional Board meetings are held virtually.
The Board of Professional Counseling ("the Board") regulates the practice of professional counseling in DC. The Board administers and enforces the law. The Board also evaluates applicants' qualifications, recommends standards and procedures, and issues licenses. Moreover, the Board receives and reviews complaints, requests investigations, and conducts hearings. The Board consists of five members appointed by the Mayor: four professional counselors licensed in the District of Columbia and one consumer member. All licenses expire on December 31 of even years.
The Board meets on the third Friday. Please note that meeting dates can change.
The Board plans to meet:
- December 16, 2022
In 2023, the Board plans to meet on the following dates:
- January 20, 2023
- February 17, 2023
- March 17, 2023
- April 21, 2023
- May 19, 2023
- June 16, 2023
- July 21, 2023
- September 15, 2023
- October 20, 2023
- November 17, 2023
- December 15, 2023
- DC Municipal Regulations for Licensed Graduate Professional Counselors - Updated November 19, 2021
- DC Municipal Regulations for Professional Counseling
- Policy Statement on the Interpretation of License Endorsement Requirements under D.C. Official Code § 3-1207.10
- Guidance on Remote Supervision During the COVID-19 Health Emergency - Updated on July 9, 2021
- Policy Statement on Identifying Public Health Issues for Continuing Education
Announcements and Newsletters
- Newsletters (Coming Soon)
- File a Complaint
- Disciplinary Action Taken (to come)
- Online License Renewal (Open)