DC Health’s online licensing system is now LIVE.
The District of Columbia Department of Health, Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) is excited to announce the opening of our new online licensing system. Effective immediately, any healthcare provider who is interested in applying for a new health professional license, or to renew, reinstate, or reactivate an existing license, may do so by going to the below link and submitting an online application. All users are strongly encouraged to review the instructions prior to beginning the process.
COVID-19 Guidance and Best Practices
For the most up to date information on the District's response to COVID-19, including information on best practices, licensure waivers, and recommended guidelines, please go to coronavirus.dc.gov.
Please submit supplemental application documents to: DC Board of Professional Counseling, 899 North Capitol Street, NE, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20002 or to [email protected].
If you require assistance from the Board of Professional Counseling, please contact [email protected].
In response to COVID-19, DC Health has waived all licensure requirements for practitioners who are licensed in good standing in another jurisdiction. You can read more about the waiver process HERE.
The Board of Professional Counseling certifies addiction counselors in the District of Columbia. Addiction counselors assist individuals with substance abuse problems and individuals who deal with substance abuse. Counselors may provide addiction information to the public. The Board certifies applicants that have obtained an associate or bachelor's degree in a health or human services related field; have the required number of supervised experience hours in the addiction field, and have successfully passed the required examinations.
- Online License Renewal (Closed)
- Suspension of Face-to-Face Continuing Education Requirement during the COVID-19 Health Emergency for Certified Addiction Counselors - Updated July 9, 2021
- Guidance on Remote Supervision During the COVID-19 Health Emergency - Updated on July 9, 2021
- Policy Statement on Identifying Public Health Issues for Continuing Education
Other Important Information
- Criminal Background Check Requirement
- Regulations [PDF]
- Certified Addiction Counselor I and II Regulations [PDF]
Announcements and Newsletters
- Newsletters (Coming Soon)