Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


DC Health

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Health Equity Report for the District of Columbia 2018

Friday, February 8, 2019

The Health Equity Report for the District of Columbia 2018 is a comprehensive report focusing on social and structural determinants of health in the District. Guided by DC Department of Health (DC Health), the report highlights nontraditional key factors that affect health, which include: education, employment, income, housing, transportation, food environment, medical care, outdoor environment, and community safety.
The Health Equity Report for the District of Columbia 2018 considers opportunities for health by looking at nine key drivers of health to 51 statistical-neighborhoods. Despite wide improvements in health outcomes over the last decade for District residents, certain health outcomes have not improved for everyone at the same rate due to health disparities and inequities. As measured by almost any indicator, these disparities are generated by differences in income, race, and geography.
Key insights in the report show that overall, clinical care drives only 20 percent of population health outcomes, while the remaining 80 percent is generated by non-clinical factors. The data throughout the report presents a picture of significant differences across neighborhoods that align with disparities in health outcomes, including life expectancy, with differences of twenty-one-years between the two ends of the spectrum.

Click HERE for the Health Equity Report for the District of Columbia 2018 and for the Summary Report.