Check out the DC Healthy People 2020 Framework, a shared community agenda that monitors 150 objectives and targets for 2020 and recommends over 85 strategies for improving population health.
DC Healthy People 2020 (DC HP2020) strives to identify local health improvement priorities, provide relevant and measurable objectives and goals, and engage multiple sectors to take actions to strengthen policies and improve practices that are driven by the best available evidence and knowledge. DC HP2020 forms an integral part of the Community Health Improvement Process, using the Community Health Needs Assessment to set health goals and priorities and, along with stakeholders, determine community health objectives and targets.
DC HP2020 Development Process
- Bring traditional and non-traditional stakeholders to the table to facilitate coordination and improve population health using social determinants of health and a health equity framework.
- Improve coordination of planning, community engagement, and health programs/services provided in DC.
- Identify policies that support health outcomes.
Six working groups, with representation from over 25 stakeholder organizations and DOH, were formed in 2015 to finalize objectives, set targets, evaluate appropriate strategies, and create an shared community agenda. Community input has been and will continue to be incorporated throughout and an advisory board reviews and approves the framework. DC HP2020 will be shared in an online interactive platform that monitors progress toward key health objectives.
DC HP2020 Topic Areas*
- Access to Health Services
- Adolescent Health
- Blood Disorders and Blood Safety
- Disability Services
- Environmental Health
- Food Safety
- Foreign-Born Populations
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Heart Disease and Stroke
- Hepatitis C
- Immunization and Infectious Diseases
- Injury and Violence Prevention
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health
- Maternal, Infant and Child Health
- Mental Health and Mental Disorders
- Nutrition, Weight Status and Physical Activity
- Older Adults
- Oral Health
- Preparedness and Response
- Public Health Infrastructure
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Sleep Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Substance Use
- Tobacco Use
*subject to change