The WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program Act (Public Law 102-314) was established on July 2, 1992. The Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program began as a grant program in 2001 and was established as a permanent program in 2007 (Public Law 107-171). The purpose of the WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) and the Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) is to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to women, infants (6-12 months), children and seniors who are nutritionally at risk and to expand the awareness and use of farmers’ markets. Farmers who sell their produce in the District of Columbia and in Maryland’s Prince George’s and Montgomery counties may be eligible to become an approved FMNP vendor.
Farmers’ Market Nutrition Programs
- Senior FMNP: Seniors, 60 years and older, participating in Grocery Plus (Commodity Supplemental Food Program) are eligible to receive $50 worth of farmers market checks to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and local honey from approved vendors. Contact the Capital Area Food Bank for information on eligibility and benefit distribution sites.
- WIC FMNP: Pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, infants (6-12 months) and children (1 year to 5 years of age) are eligible to receive $30 of farmers market checks to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs from approved vendors. Contact your WIC Local Agency for more information.
Did you receive farmers market checks?
These resources are here to help:
- Interactive Farmers Market Map: Find a market location near you
- 2021 FMNP Market Guide: Learn how to use your benefits & find market locations by Ward
- Farmers Market Hotline: Have a question about how or where to use your benefits? Call (202) 299-3775.
Interested in becoming an approved FMNP Vendor?
- Complete the online vendor application here: Vendor/Farmer Application for Participation
- Sign the 3-year vendor agreement here: 2021-2023 Vendor Agreement
- Attend an FMNP Vendor Training. Contact Jessie Lupo to arrange a training.
Contact: Jessie Lupo at [email protected] or 202-535-2993.
- 2021 Farmer/Vendor Manual
- Farmers Market Incentive Programs Flyer
- Farmers Market Incentive Programs Webinar (Recording)
- Farmers Market Incentive Programs Webinar (Slides)
- Complaint Form
- 2021 DC FMNP Market Guide
- DC WICShopper