DC Health is committed to reducing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and other sleep-related infant deaths in the District.
Through partnerships and collaborations, DC residents can receive safe sleep education and a portable crib for their infant to ensure infants are sleeping safely. Putting a baby to sleep face up, alone, and in a crib reduces the chance of death caused by unsafe sleep practices.
The Safe Sleep Program (SSP) Provides:
- Education for Parents and Caregivers
- Education for Community Partners
- Safety Approved Portable Cribs
- Referrals to Community Programs and Services
Requirements to Receive a Portable Crib:
- Parents and/or caregivers must participate in a safe sleep education session.
- Parents and/or caregivers must be a District resident.
- Portable cribs are NOT available for pick-up at DC Health offices.
Agencies Providing Safe Sleep Education & Portable Cribs
(Please call to set up an appointment)
- CentroNia (Habla español) Ward 1
- The Northwest Center (Habla español), Ward 1-8
- East River Family Strengthening Collaborative, Ward 7
- Far Southeast Family Strengthening Collaborative, Ward 8
For additional information call 1(800) MOM-BABY or 1(800) 666-2229.
Perinatal and Infant Health
Contact Suite #:
Monday through Friday 8:15 am – 4:45 pm