C. Anneta Arno, Ph.D., MPH,
Director, Office of Health Equity
Despite the many health resources in the District, health outcomes continue to reflect significant health inequities among residents. Attaining health equity requires a sustained, multi-sector, ‘health-in-all-policies’ (HiAP) approach, wherein health equity is embraced as everybody’s work!
The DC Department of Health (DOH) established the Office of Health Equity (OHE) in 2015, within the Office of the Director. OHE will collaborate with other government agencies, community partners, and all DOH Administrations to ensure a multi-pronged cohesive strategy is developed to identify and address the social determinants of health, which are the key drivers of inequities in health outcomes.
To address the root causes of health disparities, beyond healthcare and health behaviors, by supporting projects, policies and research that will enable every resident to achieve their optimal level of health — regardless of where they live, learn, work, play or age. The Office achieves its mission by informing, educating, and empowering people about health issues and facilitating multi-sector partnerships to identify and solve community health problems related to the social determinants of health.
Strategic Programmatic Areas
Collaborative Practice & Policy ChangePromote Health in All Policies & Build Multi-Sector Partnerships
Data DevelopmentApplied Practice for Key-Drivers Framework on Social & Structural Determinants of Health
Health Equity Capacity BuildingDemonstrate Practice Change & Engage Community-Based Participatory Research
Welcome & Summit Framing
- DC Calling All Sectors Initiative: 2019 – 2022
- Congress Heights Health Equity Impact Review (HEIR): September 2022
- DC Health Equity Summit 2021 Summary Report
- Health Equity Report 2018
- Health Equity Summary Report 2018
- Buzzard Point Community Health and Safety Study (CHASS) August 2016
- SSDC Advisory Committee Final Report May 2016
- Healing Futures Fellowship
- Healing Futures Fellowship 2020 Cohort
- HFF-DC Video
- Health Equity Report Community Conversations
- Community Conversations Flyer