PROCESSING CENTER Hours:
The Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) Processing Center is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 am – 1 pm, and Wednesday, 9 am - 3:30 pm (except holidays).
The HRLA Office Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:15 am - 4:45 pm (except holidays).
NOTICE OF DELIVERY SERVICE DELAYS
DC Health is experiencing delays in mail availability due to the impact of COVID-19 on the US postal service.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to process all mail in as timely a manner as possible.
Important Notice (select link):
DC Health No Longer Accepting Paper Applications (Beginning June 14, 2021)
The District of Columbia Department of Health, Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) is excited to announce the opening of our new online licensing system. Effective immediately, any healthcare provider who is interested in applying for a new health professional license, or to renew, reinstate, or reactivate an existing license, may do so by going to the below link and submitting an online application. All users are strongly encouraged to review the instructions prior to beginning the process.
DC Health has implemented new mandates related to COVID-19. For more information, click on the following link(s):
Status of Application
If you need an update on the status of your application, please send an email to the appropriate inbox:
- Graduate Professional Counselor applicants: [email protected]
- Professional Counselor applicants: [email protected]
- Addiction Counselor I applicants: [email protected]
- Certified Addiction Counselor II applicants: [email protected]
- For ALL General Inquiries: [email protected]
COVID-19 Guidance and Best Practices
For the most up to date information on the District's response to COVID-19, including information on best practices, licensure waivers, and recommended guidelines, please go to coronavirus.dc.gov.
Individuals may also call the Processing Center at 1 (877) 672-2174 to get an update on their pending application.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all Health Professional Board meetings are currently held virtually.
In response to COVID-19, DC Health has waived all licensure requirements for practitioners who are licensed in good standing in another jurisdiction. You can read more about the waiver process HERE.
The Board of Professional Counseling ("the Board") regulates the practice of professional counseling in DC. The Board administers and enforces the law. The Board also evaluates applicants' qualifications, recommends standards and procedures, and issues licenses. Moreover, the Board receives and reviews complaints, requests investigations, and conducts hearings. The Board consists of five members appointed by the Mayor: four professional counselors licensed in the District of Columbia and one consumer member. All licenses expire on December 31 of even years.
The Board meets on the third Friday. Please note that meeting dates can change. In 2022, the Board plans to meet on the following dates:
- January 21, 2022
- February 11, 2022
- March 18, 2022
- April 29, 2022
- May 20, 2022
- June 17, 2022
- July 22, 2022
- August 2022 (Recess – no meeting)
- September 15, 2022
- October 21, 2022
- November 18, 2022
- December 16, 2022
- DC Municipal Regulations for Licensed Graduate Professional Counselors - Updated November 19, 2021
- DC Municipal Regulations for Professional Counseling
- Policy Statement on the Interpretation of License Endorsement Requirements under D.C. Official Code § 3-1207.10
- Guidance on Remote Supervision During the COVID-19 Health Emergency - Updated on July 9, 2021
- Policy Statement on Identifying Public Health Issues for Continuing Education
Announcements and Newsletters
- Newsletters (Coming Soon)
- Online License Renewal (Closed)