Walk In Services
The Health Regulation and Licensing Administration (HRLA) Processing Center will fully reopen its public service counter Monday through Friday starting on July 12, 2021, from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm. The online appointment scheduler is http://appts.dcvsims.com. Individuals may also call the Processing Center at 1 (877) 672-2174 to get an update on their pending application.In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all Health
Professional Board meetings are currently held virtually. Please check each board's respective website for information on when the next meeting will take place.If you are already in contact with a Health Licensing Specialist (HLS), please forward any documents to said HLS via email.
Welcome to DC Health’s
Criminal Background Check (CBC) Program
Fingerprinting is Now Available
CBC Unit phone: (202) 442-5888
CBC Email address: [email protected]
READ FIRST BEFORE CONTINUING
ONLINE LICENSURE APPLICATION INCLUDES CBC REGISTRATION PROCEESS:
If you have been, or will be, submitting an application for a health profession license via the new online application portal (located HERE), DO NOT go any further as the application portal will include the registration and payment for your Criminal Background Check.
FROM INTERNATIONAL LOCATIONS:
For applicants located abroad, click HERE for instructions on how to register and submit fingerprints for processing a criminal background check.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENT FOR HEALTH CARE LICENSE, REGISTRATION AND CERTIFICATION:
- If an applicant for a license, registration, or certification is not or has not been licensed, registered, or certified in another state, the applicant shall be required to undergo a fingerprint scan criminal background check (CBC). The license, registration, or certification shall not be issued until the board with the authority to regulate the health professional, pursuant to D.C. Official Code § 3-1201.01 et seq., has completed a review of the applicant’s CBC in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
- If an applicant for initial licensure, registration, or certification, by endorsement, has not had a state and FBI CBC conducted in the jurisdiction from which he or she is endorsing, within the last two (2)years, the applicant shall be required to undergo a fingerprint scan CBC.
- If an applicant for licensure, registration, or certification, by endorsement, has had a state and FBI CBC in the jurisdiction from which he or she is endorsing within the last two (2) years, then the applicant shall be required to undergo a CBC based on the applicant’s name, gender, Social Security number, date of birth, and mailing address.
- A person renewing his or her license, registration, or certification shall be required to undergo a CBC based on a name search, which shall include the applicant’s gender, Social Security number, date of birth, and mailing address. The CBC shall occur at a two (2) year interval coinciding with the renewal date of the respective profession.
- A person applying for reinstatement, reactivation, or for a higher level license, registration, or certification in a specific profession shall be required to undergo a CBC if the applicant has not had a CBC done within the two (2) years prior to the date of his or her application
The criminal background check requirements for health care licensing and long term care unlicensed personnel employment are based on the following laws and regulations:
Long Term Care Employment of Unlicensed Persons
Health-Care Facility Unlicensed Personnel Criminal Background Check Act of 1998, effective April 20, 1999, as amended by the Health-Care Facility Unlicensed Personnel Criminal Background Check Amendment Act of 2002, effective April 13, 2002, (D.C. Laws 12-238 and 14-98), D.C. Official Code § 44- 551 et seq.