(Washington, DC) – Mayor Vincent C. Gray announced the creation of the Mayor’s Host Committee for the XIX International AIDS Conference to be held in the District of Columbia from July 22 to 27, 2012. During the conference at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center the District will host nearly 200 countries and 25,000 delegates. The Host Committee includes representatives from the tourism, medical and government communities to facilitate coordination for all aspects of the event.
“I am pleased to announce these stellar leaders from across the District will help facilitate a wonderful experience for our visitors and work to ensure that the residents of our city benefit from the thousands of visitors,” said Mayor Gray.
The host committee will advise the Director of the Department of Health, the Senior Deputy Director of HAHSTA and the Mayor on issues and matters relating to the District’s sponsorship of the International AIDS Conference.
Host Committee Responsibilities
- Work with IAS to ensure the meeting is a success;
- Work with DOH and HAHSTA to provide a showcase for the District HIV/AIDS programs;
- Provide assistance to DOH and HAHSTA in arranging tours for conference attendees to HIV/AIDS care and support facilities in the District; and
- Maximize the potential for business and employment opportunities for District based businesses and residents.
Host Committee Members
- Sharon Pratt, Former Mayor, District of Columbia, Chairperson
- The Honorable David Catania, Councilmember, At-Large, Council of the District of Columbia and Chairman, Committee on Health
- Elliott Ferguson, President and CEO, Destination DC
- Shannon Hader, Vice President and Director, Center for Health Systems and Solutions, Futures Group
- Pat Hawkins, PhD, Consultant, DC Community AIDS Network
- Paul A. Kawata, Executive Director, National Minority AIDS Council
- Gregory Pappas, MD, PhD, Senior Deputy Director DC Department of Health
- Toni Young, Founder and Executive Director, Community Education Group
Also serving on the Host Committee as ex-officio members are Mayor Gray, City Administrator Allen Lew, Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services Beatriz “BB” Otero, Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development Victor Hoskins, and Department of Health Director Dr. Mohammad Akhter. All members will work together to display and welcome the thousands of visitors to the District so that both they and the residents benefit from this major event.